normal Buggy Build - What the story with the DOT letter proof of rego

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #17509 by BAJA
BAJA created the topic: Buggy Build - What the story with the DOT letter proof of rego
Today I noticed this ad on Gumtree,
www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fremantle/cars-v...gent-sale/1161291540

It says in it that he has a DOT letter confirming approved issue of license.
We have completed our inquiries and have approved the issue of the licence.
If the vehicle has not passed an inspection:
• Present the vehicle for inspection.
If the vehicle has past an inspection:
• Take the completed vehicle inspection form along with this approval letter to a Licensing Centre.

I was wondering if this legit ????

Also it seems good value getting rego proof, body, and bits to do a build, or says could just use vin to lic a build that has no proof ?

BEETLES ON STEROIDS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #17512 by vwjon
vwjon replied the topic: Buggy Build - What the story with the DOT letter proof of rego
in todays world, the powers that be have said you can NOT build a new SWB buggy from an old beetle and make it road legal, so if you find a body or buy a new body and decide that the old beetle in next doors garden would be a great donor car, that's about as far as you can go to getting it street legal.
BUT!!!

If you have a VIN or floorpan / chassis that has a proven history I.E. a letter from DOT, or good quality photographs, old reggo papers that state "buggy" etc this evidence will give you the open door required to allow you to put the buggy back on the road, or put a new body on the old pan

So here in WA all beach buggys that are on the road, or have been on the road is all the buggys that will be on the road. The next option is the ICV route, frame chassis, modern regs and rules to follow (emissions, safety, noise, etc etc etc the list is quite extensive!)

TIC TAC TOW. VW transportation service. 0484 81 83 85.
POKE-DUBS, YOU GOTTA GET 'EM ALL!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MANTA, BAJA

More
1 month 1 day ago #17558 by BAJA
BAJA replied the topic: Buggy Build - What the story with the DOT letter proof of rego
So I guess it was a good deal and someone wise has snapped it up.
A guys asking $1500 to $2500 just for bodies over east, so a body and DOT letter is a bargain for $3500.

BEETLES ON STEROIDS

More
3 weeks 1 day ago - 3 weeks 1 day ago #17572 by shaihulud
shaihulud replied the topic: Buggy Build - What the story with the DOT letter proof of rego
Interestingly enough, the VW Company has published a manual on how to shorten a Beetle pan for a buggy. I was given a copy by WA rego years ago before the new rules stopped it, but it is now not acceptable, even if it was followed to the letter for a newly shortened pan to be legitimate.

The shortened pan for my Manx SR was one of the last permitted in WA.

From memory the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) state that a company can issue a modification manual for a current chassis to solve a problem that would normally require a recall, but it must be for a model that is currently for sale as a new vehicle. I think that's correct.

Who's got a few hundred thousand dollars to spare to get that legitimised by a an appeal?

As a result, what Jon said is what pertains today. A complete SWB buggy with legitimate papers is a good deal at $3,500. If you find one as a barn find, grab it .There are very few left.

The man who bought my SR has recently bought for an undisclosed price a Manx buggy which was imported to Australia in 1968 and which has been unused in a shed for about 25 to 30 years. Given its imported date and that no-one was copying Manxes then, it is almost certain to be genuine. It also came with a set of Gates Commander tyres. How's that for good fortune?
The following user(s) said Thank You: MANTA

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #17594 by vwjon
vwjon replied the topic: Buggy Build - What the story with the DOT letter proof of rego
Heres a story that's worth the read, it could signal the future of buggys here in Oz.

www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/11/06/texas-b...-and-other-kit-cars/

Basically in Texas USA, they are cancelling peoples paper work on their buggys and sand rails declaring them "off road vehicles only" so very soon there will be NO road legal buggys or re-bodied cars (kit cars)

Currently here in WA you cant build a "new" buggy, but you can rebuild an old one, hopefully they wont take Texas's view!

TIC TAC TOW. VW transportation service. 0484 81 83 85.
POKE-DUBS, YOU GOTTA GET 'EM ALL!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MANTA

Moderators: 66splitMaHargBJkarmannjustbugginMillsy
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds

Share...

Follow Us On...